Life without the internet seems impossible for today. With the advancement in technology, more than 90% of households have an internet connection at home.
Yet, most Singaporeans researching well into it despite our reliance on getting connected. Much like our previous article on Singapore’s best mobile plan, Singaporeans may not be on the cheapest fibre broadband plans costing them money each year.
TL;DR: Cheapest Fibre Broadband: Speed vs Price for each lifestyle
- For No-Contract: ViewQwest is the only service providers that do 1Gbps fibre broadband (no-contract) plan at $62.50 per month.
- For 12 Months Contract:
WhizComms is the cheapest 1Gbps fibre broadband
M1 is the cheapest for 500Mbps
Whizcomms has the best price for 300Mbps
According to surveys and gathered feedback, more than 50% of Singaporeans prefer 1Gbps home broadband solutions. This is why we see the highest number of competition in the 1Gbps broadband space.
- For 24 Months Contract:
WhizComms – For 300Mbps
M1 and StarHub are the cheapest when it comes to 500Mbps at $29.90 per month.
Whizcomms is the cheapest for 1Gbps if you already have your own router. If not, StarHub and M1 are the cheapest.
ViewQwest is the cheapest for 2Gbps fibre broadband plan.
- Gamer Series: Depends – As most gaming bundles come with gaming accessories, choosing the one that appeals to you might be the best solution, assuming their speed is all the same.
Real User Reviews On Fibre Broadband Plans In Singapore
Read real user reviews on fibre broadband plans before deciding on one.
Contribute your reviews on your experience on fibre broadband plans to help Singaporeans make smarter personal finance decision.
Choosing the best broadband plan depends on various lifestyles. The broadband service providers are trying to differentiate their package from each other, which makes an apple to apple comparison rather challenging.
However, if you recognize your lifestyle, eg. you are a gamer, you can then easily zoom in on the area of comparison and sign yourself up for the most economical plan.
Detailed Illustration Of Fibre Broadband Plans: Speed vs Price
The basic fibre broadband plans are broken down into no-contract, 12 months contract or a 24 months contract.
Cheapest No-Contract Fibre Broadband Plan In Singapore
No contract plan is beneficial for expats working in Singapore for a short period of time ranging from more than 1 month to less than 12 months.
This way, there is no need to commit a full contract with the Internet Service provider (ISP).
ViewQwest is the only one with No-Contract plan charging $62.50 per month.
Cheapest Fibre Broadband Plan In Singapore (12-Month Contract)
While not many providers are looking to lock in their consumers for less than 2 years, M1, StarHub and WhizComms have their own 12 Months Contract plans.
|Fibre Broadband Plan|
|StarHub||-||-||$49.90 per month|
|M1||-||$39.90 per month||$49.90 per month|
|Whizcomms||$32.00 per month||-||$38 per month|
- WhizComms is the cheapest 1Gbps fibre broadband plan (12-month contract) at $38 per month.
- M1 provides a 12-month contract for their 500Mbps plan at $39.90 per month.
- For 300Mbps 12-month broadband contract, Whizcomms is the only one providing it at $32 per month.
Cheapest Fibre Broadband Plan In Singapore (24-Month Contract)
The 24-month contract 1Gbps fibre broadband plan is the standard plan across all internet providers.
Most Singaporeans should also be on this plan.
|Fibre Broadband Plan|
|Singtel||-||-||$44.90 per month||$64.90 per month|
|Starhub||-||$29.90 per month||$39.90 per month||$62.90 per month|
|M1||-||$29.90 per month||$39.90 per month|
$52.00 per month
|MyRepublic||-||-||$42.99 per month|
$59.99 per month
(GAMER Broadband Plans)
|Whizcomms||$26.00 per month||-||$34.00 per month||-|
|Viewqwest||-||-||$42.90 per month|
$59.90 per month
(Raptor Gamer Plan)
|$57.50 per month
$79.90 per month
(Raptor Gamer Plan)
- All the fibre broadband internet providers such as Singtel, Starhub, M1, Viewqwest, MyRepublic and WhizComms are competing in the 24-month contract 1Gbps broadband space.
- Whizcomms is the only one providing 24-month 300Mbps fibre broadband plan at $26 per month.
- M1 and StarHub both charges the same price for a 500Mbps fibre broadband plan (24-month contract) at $29.90 per month.
- For someone who already has his own router, Whizcomms provide the cheapest 1Gbps fibre broadband plan (24-month contract) at $34 per month (with no router).
- M1 and StarHub come next for 1Gbps fibre broadband plan $39.90 per month, with a router.
- When it comes to the cheapest 2Gbps fibre broadband plan (24-month contract), ViewQwest is the cheapest in this area at $57.50 per month.
Cheapest Fibre Broadband Plan For Gamers In Singapore
Gaming broadband plans come with network optimisation to reduce latency for consumers who are into gaming.
|Service provider||Name of plan||Price of plan||Freebies/ perks|
|Viewqwest||1Gbps Raptor Gamer|
|$59.90 per month||Free gaming accessories. Choose 1 from the following:
NETGEAR® Nighthawk® Pro Gaming WiFi Router (XR500)
Arozzi Gaming Chair
Logitech Gaming Bundle – G613 Keyboard, G703 Mouse & G533 Headset
ASUS RT-AC5300 Wi-Fi Gaming Router
NETGEAR® Orbi™ (RBK20) Mesh system
|M1||GamePRO 1Gbps||$52 per month||Linksys WRT32X Gaming Router|
|MyRepublic||1Gbps GAMER Fibre Broadband||$59.99 per month|
(depends on package)
|PlayStation®4 Pro 1TB ($69.99/ month)
PlayStation®VR with Camera or Secretlab OMEGA GAMER ($62.99/month)
ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Gaming Wi-Fi router ($59.99/month)
- M1 offers GamePRO 1Gbps at $52 per month. It comes with a free Linksys WRT32X Gaming Router.
- MyRepublic, on the other hand, comes with the option to choose Free PlayStation 4 Pro 1TB + 1 DualShock 4 Controller + FIFA 20, ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 Router, Secretlab OMEGA (2020) GAMER, ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Gaming W-i-Fi router, Logitech G Lightsync Gaming Bundle or ASUS RT-AC88U gaming routers.
- ViewQwest’s 1Gbps Raptor Gamer allows one to choose from NETGEAR® Nighthawk® Pro Gaming WiFi Router (XR500), Arozzi Gaming Chair, ASUS RT-AC5300 Wi-Fi Gaming Router
Broadband Speed Test
Ever wondered which is the fastest Internet Service Provider (ISP) in Singapore? Understanding the speed of your fibre broadband provider is important to prevent any possible “surprise” after subscribing to the service.
Based on Ookla, with 2.4 million tests from 510,906 users considered in their speed test, here are the results:
|Name Of Internet Service Provider (ISP)||Download Speed||Upload Speed|
|ViewQwest||850.49 Mbps||890.83 Mbps|
|MyRepublic||650.81 Mbps||465.70 Mbps|
|SingTel||467.71 Mbps||506.94 Mbps|
|StarHub||431.14 Mbps||521.10 Mbps|
|M1||423.85 Mbps||461.97 Mbps|
Whizcomms was not involved in the speed test mentioned above.
Hidden Costs To Look Out For When Choosing The Best Broadband Plan
When choosing the best broadband plan that suits your need, it is important to look out for some of the cost that may incur when you apply for the plans.
One of the most common cost is the cost of the router. While most internet service providers bundle it with the package when one signs for it, it is still important to take note of the possible router cost.
Here’s what each provider is offering with their 1Gbps fibre broadband contract:
|Singtel||FREE||Wireless Dual-Band AC Router|
|Starhub||FREE||Linksys EA8100-AH Max-Stream AC2600 wireless router|
|M1||FREE||ASUS wireless AC router|
|Viewqwest||FREE||Free NETGEAR® AC1600 Smart WiFi Router
|MyRepublic||FREE/ $99||FREE Wi-Fi Hub AC1600 router or top-up $99 for upgrade to a Wi-Fi Halo AC2200 router|
|WhizComms||FREE||TP-Link Archer C1200|
Get The Best Plan According To Your Lifestyle
In conclusion, this article wishes to draw a quick comparison across most of the fibre broadband plans. Hopefully, you can now make better decisions when your current broadband contract ends.
Good things are definitely worth sharing, so please feel free to share this with your friends and family!
Whether you love or hate our content... WE WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK!