$55,000 an average cost of renovating a HDB flat
According to Consumers Association of Singapore, complaints involving contractors (renovation and interior design) take up 8% of the total complaints in the year 2017.
This percentage could have been higher given that a lot of such cases usually go unreported.
With renovation being one of the large ticket items for Singaporean couples, a trustworthy interior designing contractor is important. In the first 7 months of the year 2017, a total contract value of $8,420,000 was received over renovation complaints.
The ultimate list of interior designers to avoid in Singapore
If you are looking to get a package from any of the contractor in the list below, do think twice.
|Name of Interior Designer to Avoid
|3Latte Pte Ltd
|Absolute Design Associates Private Limited
|A-Build Construction Pte/Ltd
|A'Conceptz Design & Renovation Pte Ltd
|AIK LIAN ENGINEERING & TRADING PTE LTD
|Alam Living Interior Design Consultant -Ms Siti Hawa Bte Othman
|Am Construction Technology Pte Ltd
|Apco Pte Ltd
|Bayview Concepts Pte Ltd
|Behome Design Concept -Ng Chun Kiat
|Blink 23 Pte Ltd
|Blu Pin I.D Pte Ltd - Sia Chun Yi(She JunYi)
|Briggs Design Pte Ltd/ Pemplas Interior Pte Ltd
|CES ENGINEERING & CONSTRUCTION PTE LTD
|Chan Chee Seng( Zeng ZhiSheng )
|Chan Yi Quian Brenden t/a Board of Designers
|Chia Su Yung
|Chiam Ser Ko t/a Festal Interior Reno
|Chong Sen Construction Pte Ltd
|Colour Centre Pte Ltd
|Cozy Loft Pte Ltd
|Creaction Design Pte Ltd
|Creative Interior Design - Mr Tan Yong Heng
|Da Vidbox Designs Pte Ltd
|De Ir Pte Ltd
|Décor Studio Pte Ltd
|D’Concept Design Private Limited
|D'Poh Interior Pte Ltd
|Dream Innovatus Home
|Eco Intergrated Pte Ltd
|Edsel Design&Renovation Pte Ltd
|Eins Construction Pte ltd
|Elementz Design Studio
|EL-FA Team Pte Ltd
|Emmanuel Reno & Services
|ER Concept Plt Ltd
|Expeditious Pte Ltd
|EXPEDITIOUS PTE LTD
|Façade Holdings Pte Ltd
|Foccus Interior Pte Ltd
|Focusstudio Pte Ltd
|Fu Fang Ruo t/a Bizwiz Construction & Services
|Genesis ID Pte Ltd
|Genesis ID Pte Ltd
|GS Creative Pte Ltd
|Haller (Far East) Private Limited
|Hauslab Design&Build Pte Ltd
|Hiaxia Crystal Constrcution Pte Ltd
|Hong Choon Building Construction
|I1 Reno Pte Ltd
|Icon D'Zigne Pte Ltd
|Icon Studio P/L
|IDA Construction Pte Ltd
|Illusion Design & Contract Pte Ltd
|In-Base Interior Design -Tan Lay Nah
|Innerspace Interior Pte Ltd
|Island Lifestyle Group Pte.Ltd.
|J-Plan Associates Pte Ltd
|J-Plan Associates Pte.Ltd.
|JS Devise Private Limited
|JST Creations t/a Tan Lay Hoon
|K Jensen Pte Ltd
|Ke Kim Ching t/a Goodrich Building and Trading
|KK Workshop Pte Ltd
|Koon Seng Renovation Contractor
|Lau Yong Koi t/a Crystal Pool Building and Services
|Lim Lee Hoon t/a Junying Design&Construction
|Limmax ID Pte Ltd
|Lines & Angels Private Limted
|Linewerkz Pte Ltd
|Luxur I.D. Pte Ltd
|Markwell Design&Contract Pte Ltd
|MBG INTERIOR P/L
|H Klassic Pte Ltd
|MH Builders Pte Ltd - Mr Chng Chee Ann
|Mr Lim Soo Tat t/a Roca Vida
|Mr Teo E-Shen
|Mr Yang Johnson
|Mr Zulkanain Bin Amin
|Mycenean Design-Profession Pte Ltd
|New Age Construction&Trading Pte Ltd
|Nexus Interior Pte.Ltd.
|Ng Meng Teck formerly t/a Ben Design&Build
|Omni Construction Pte Ltd
|OP3 International Pte Ltd
|Penthouse Interior&Trading Pte Ltd
|PNI Homes Pte Ltd
|Point Design City Development Pte.Ltd.
|Point Design City Development Pte.Ltd.
|Reka Bina Pte Ltd (RB Services Pte Ltd)
|S.A.C (PTE) LTD
|Sek Loong Trading& Construction Service Pte Ltd
|Sim Wee Kiat t/a Witz Studio
|Siong Lee Contractor
|SJ MARBLE(S) PTE LTD
|Solidform Trading - Koh Huang Sim
|Studio Q Design(Pte Ltd)
|Tan Meng Hua
|Tan Tian Bok/Tan Tian Ci both t/a Jiamei Furnishings
|Techgroup E&C Pte Ltd
|The Creative Formation Pte Ltd
|The Metaphysics Practice -Kua Joo Siang Raymond (Hafary as Third party)
|THIAN SUNG CONSTRUCTION PTE LTD
|Timlord Construction Pte.Ltd
|TMG Cornerstone Pte.Ltd.
|Tycoon Construction Pte Ltd
|Vent Engineering Pte Ltd
|Wallstreet Interior Pte Ltd
|Well-Know Engineering Pte Ltd
|Weng Stone Trading Pte Ltd
|Workshop I.D & Build Pte Ltd
|WYS Engineering & Construction P/L
|YKS Builders & Engineering P/L
|Zen Seng Pte Ltd
|ZHENGDA CORPORATION PTE LTD
|ZQ Studio Pte Ltd - Victor Yeong Kong Khuen
|CONTEMPO ART OF LIVING PTE LTD AKA THE ARTMANI PTE LTD
Further reading: How to spot a renovation scam?
The sad part about renovation scams is the long process before it gets reported.
- A victim needs to first recognise that he has been scammed. This process usually takes up months before the realisation kicks.
- Usually, quite a huge amount of money is involved which means a troublesome process for the victim in hope of recouping his loss through various means.
By the time a scam got reported, a few other victims would have fallen for the scam by the same ” interior company”.
Types of renovation scams
There are a few common scam methods being adopted these days:
- Work not done after initial payment, with work falling short of what was promised. When victims grew anxious about the completion deadline of their home, the contractor demanded further payment.
- Interior designers falling to provide the promised service after payment.
- Provides an attractive renovation package, but materials used were not of the promised quality.
- There are also cases where interior designers disappeared after the first payment was made.
What can consumers look out for?
As mentioned in one of our interviews with 4 interior design experts, here are some things we can lookout for.
- It is important to research the credentials and history of the interior designer that you will be using, before making your first payment.
- While cheaper packages may seem attractive, it usually comes with a price. One of such is the compromising of quality of the materials used.
- It is important to set a realistic budget and educate yourself on the information on sales and promotions before heading out to search for an interior designer.
- Usually getting a quotation from a few interior designers is necessary. If a package appears too good to be true, it probably is.
- The most one should be paying is a 20% deposit at most. If the interior designer is asking for a percentage such as 50%, maybe it is time to think twice.