$55,000 an average cost of renovating a HDB flat
According to Consumers Association of Singapore, complaints involving contractors (renovation and interior design) take up 8% of the total complaints in the year 2017.
This percentage could have been higher given that a lot of such cases usually go unreported.
With renovation being one of the large ticket items for Singaporean couples, a trustworthy interior designing contractor is important. In the first 7 months of the year 2017, a total contract value of $8,420,000 was received over renovation complaints.
The ultimate list of interior designers to avoid in Singapore
If you are looking to get a package from any of the contractor in the list below, do think twice.
|No.||Name of Interior Designer to Avoid|
|1||3Latte Pte Ltd|
|2||Absolute Design Associates Private Limited|
|3||A-Build Construction Pte/Ltd|
|4||A'Conceptz Design & Renovation Pte Ltd|
|5||AIK LIAN ENGINEERING & TRADING PTE LTD|
|6||Alam Living Interior Design Consultant -Ms Siti Hawa Bte Othman|
|7||Am Construction Technology Pte Ltd|
|9||Apco Pte Ltd|
|10||Bayview Concepts Pte Ltd|
|11||Behome Design Concept -Ng Chun Kiat|
|12||Blink 23 Pte Ltd|
|13||Blu Pin I.D Pte Ltd - Sia Chun Yi(She JunYi)|
|14||Briggs Design Pte Ltd/ Pemplas Interior Pte Ltd|
|15||CES ENGINEERING & CONSTRUCTION PTE LTD|
|16||Chan Chee Seng( Zeng ZhiSheng )|
|17||Chan Yi Quian Brenden t/a Board of Designers|
|18||Chia Su Yung|
|19||Chiam Ser Ko t/a Festal Interior Reno|
|20||Chong Sen Construction Pte Ltd|
|21||Colour Centre Pte Ltd|
|22||Cozy Loft Pte Ltd|
|23||Creaction Design Pte Ltd|
|24||Creative Interior Design - Mr Tan Yong Heng|
|25||Da Vidbox Designs Pte Ltd|
|26||De Ir Pte Ltd|
|27||Décor Studio Pte Ltd|
|28||D’Concept Design Private Limited|
|29||D'Poh Interior Pte Ltd|
|30||Dream Innovatus Home|
|31||Eco Intergrated Pte Ltd|
|32||Edsel Design&Renovation Pte Ltd|
|33||Eins Construction Pte ltd|
|34||Elementz Design Studio|
|35||EL-FA Team Pte Ltd|
|36||Emmanuel Reno & Services|
|37||ER Concept Plt Ltd|
|38||Expeditious Pte Ltd|
|39||EXPEDITIOUS PTE LTD|
|40||Façade Holdings Pte Ltd|
|42||Foccus Interior Pte Ltd|
|43||Focusstudio Pte Ltd|
|44||Fu Fang Ruo t/a Bizwiz Construction & Services|
|45||Genesis ID Pte Ltd|
|46||Genesis ID Pte Ltd|
|47||GS Creative Pte Ltd|
|48||Haller (Far East) Private Limited|
|49||Hauslab Design&Build Pte Ltd|
|50||Hiaxia Crystal Constrcution Pte Ltd|
|51||Hong Choon Building Construction|
|52||I1 Reno Pte Ltd|
|53||Icon D'Zigne Pte Ltd|
|54||Icon Studio P/L|
|55||IDA Construction Pte Ltd|
|56||Illusion Design & Contract Pte Ltd|
|57||In-Base Interior Design -Tan Lay Nah|
|58||Innerspace Interior Pte Ltd|
|59||Island Lifestyle Group Pte.Ltd.|
|60||J-Plan Associates Pte Ltd|
|61||J-Plan Associates Pte.Ltd.|
|62||JS Devise Private Limited|
|63||JST Creations t/a Tan Lay Hoon|
|64||K Jensen Pte Ltd|
|65||Ke Kim Ching t/a Goodrich Building and Trading|
|67||KK Workshop Pte Ltd|
|68||Koon Seng Renovation Contractor|
|69||Lau Yong Koi t/a Crystal Pool Building and Services|
|70||Lim Lee Hoon t/a Junying Design&Construction|
|71||Limmax ID Pte Ltd|
|72||Lines & Angels Private Limted|
|73||Linewerkz Pte Ltd|
|74||Luxur I.D. Pte Ltd|
|75||Markwell Design&Contract Pte Ltd|
|76||MBG INTERIOR P/L|
|77||H Klassic Pte Ltd|
|78||MH Builders Pte Ltd - Mr Chng Chee Ann|
|79||Mr Lim Soo Tat t/a Roca Vida|
|80||Mr Teo E-Shen|
|81||Mr Yang Johnson|
|82||Mr Zulkanain Bin Amin|
|83||Mycenean Design-Profession Pte Ltd|
|84||New Age Construction&Trading Pte Ltd|
|85||Nexus Interior Pte.Ltd.|
|86||Ng Meng Teck formerly t/a Ben Design&Build|
|87||Omni Construction Pte Ltd|
|88||OP3 International Pte Ltd|
|89||Penthouse Interior&Trading Pte Ltd|
|90||PNI Homes Pte Ltd|
|91||Point Design City Development Pte.Ltd.|
|92||Point Design City Development Pte.Ltd.|
|93||Reka Bina Pte Ltd (RB Services Pte Ltd)|
|94||S.A.C (PTE) LTD|
|95||Sek Loong Trading& Construction Service Pte Ltd|
|96||Sim Wee Kiat t/a Witz Studio|
|97||Siong Lee Contractor|
|98||SJ MARBLE(S) PTE LTD|
|99||Solidform Trading - Koh Huang Sim|
|100||Studio Q Design(Pte Ltd)|
|101||Tan Meng Hua|
|102||Tan Tian Bok/Tan Tian Ci both t/a Jiamei Furnishings|
|103||Techgroup E&C Pte Ltd|
|104||The Creative Formation Pte Ltd|
|105||The Metaphysics Practice -Kua Joo Siang Raymond (Hafary as Third party)|
|106||THIAN SUNG CONSTRUCTION PTE LTD|
|107||Timlord Construction Pte.Ltd|
|108||TMG Cornerstone Pte.Ltd.|
|109||Tycoon Construction Pte Ltd|
|110||Vent Engineering Pte Ltd|
|111||Wallstreet Interior Pte Ltd|
|112||Well-Know Engineering Pte Ltd|
|113||Weng Stone Trading Pte Ltd|
|114||Workshop I.D & Build Pte Ltd|
|116||WYS Engineering & Construction P/L|
|117||YKS Builders & Engineering P/L|
|118||Zen Seng Pte Ltd|
|119||ZHENGDA CORPORATION PTE LTD|
|120||ZQ Studio Pte Ltd - Victor Yeong Kong Khuen|
|121||CONTEMPO ART OF LIVING PTE LTD AKA THE ARTMANI PTE LTD|
Further reading: How to spot a renovation scam?
The sad part about renovation scams is the long process before it gets reported.
- A victim needs to first recognise that he has been scammed. This process usually takes up months before the realisation kicks.
- Usually, quite a huge amount of money is involved which means a troublesome process for the victim in hope of recouping his loss through various means.
By the time a scam got reported, a few other victims would have fallen for the scam by the same ” interior company”.
Types of renovation scams
There are a few common scam methods being adopted these days:
- Work not done after initial payment, with work falling short of what was promised. When victims grew anxious about the completion deadline of their home, the contractor demanded further payment.
- Interior designers falling to provide the promised service after payment.
- Provides an attractive renovation package, but materials used were not of the promised quality.
- There are also cases where interior designers disappeared after the first payment was made.
What can consumers look out for?
As mentioned in one of our interviews with 4 interior design experts, here are some things we can lookout for.
- It is important to research the credentials and history of the interior designer that you will be using, before making your first payment.
- While cheaper packages may seem attractive, it usually comes with a price. One of such is the compromising of quality of the materials used.
- It is important to set a realistic budget and educate yourself on the information on sales and promotions before heading out to search for an interior designer.
- Usually getting a quotation from a few interior designers is necessary. If a package appears too good to be true, it probably is.
- The most one should be paying is a 20% deposit at most. If the interior designer is asking for a percentage such as 50%, maybe it is time to think twice.