The median cost of holding a wedding is S$39,500. This is with the assumption that 60% of the banquet cost is covered by the red packets.
Should all your friends and family members decide to not give you Ang Bao, the cost will increase exponentially to S$62,500
While everyone assumes that a wedding involves a standard procedure of bridal package, expensive banquet and wedding photography, should you break the tradition and have your wedding at a coffee shop, here’s how much you can save!
P.S. This is provided that your partner and parents of both parties agree to it.
TL;DR – Save S$31,359.26 when you hold your wedding at a coffee shop.
|Wedding item||How much you save?|
The above cost saved is excluding any possible Ang Bao returns which you may receive.
Further reading: How the cost adds up?
By breaking the tradition of a usual wedding banquet and having it at a coffee shop, here are some immediate cost one can save on.
Transport Cost – Saves S$369.26
- Rental car to chauffeur both the logistics and couple around on wedding day.
- Wedding car rental can cost up to S$184.63 per day.
- Should the wedding be held at a coffee shop near the couple’s house, there is no need for transport.
Wedding Dinner – Saves S$23,900
- The median cost of a wedding banquet cost S$35,000 for 300 guests.
- That works out to be about S$117 per guest.
To give a better estimation of a coffee shop dinner, we took 3 of the best Zi Char that made it to the Singapore Michelin Bib Gourmand Guide 2016.
From there we compile the average price per person:
- New Ubin Seafood: S$37 per person
- JB Ah Meng: S$19 per person
- Kok Sen Restaurant: S$18 per person
Assuming you go for the more costly option at New Ubin Seafood, your wedding dinner will cost you only S$11,100.
*Feel free to allow free flow bottled Tiger beer, the cost will still be affordable.
Wedding Photography – Saves S$2,590
- The median cost of a wedding photographer is S$3,250.
- Unlike a full wedding banquet with all the march in, we assume a coffee shop dinner to be a simple and less formal one.
- Hence, a very basic wedding photography package of S$110 per hour can help address your wedding photography needs. Assuming a 6 hours session, that will be S$660.
Bridal Package – Saves S$4,500
- The median cost of a bridal package is at S$4,500.
- The package usually consists of rental of the wedding gown, hair-stylist and make-up artist.
- A less formal setting at the coffee shop means a casual dress code without the need of complex make-up or hairdo to go with it.
Intangible Benefits – Priceless
On top of just monetary benefits, holding your wedding in a less formal setting comes with intangible benefits too.
- Your guests get to enjoy themselves by turning up in their most comfortable outfit for the event. (Slippers, singlet for a coffee shop wedding, highly recommended!)
- Your guests do not have to stress over the rate of the Ang Bao which they will be giving. Usually, under stress-free environment, guests tend to give more than the actual cost.
- The wedding couple can be an AWESOME host, and allow their guests to order all the beer and food they wish to have without breaking a sweat.
Hacks to cut cost at your wedding
I assume this article is not going to change your perception of a dream wedding, hence, here are some articles that can help you save some cost.
- 12 hacks to save money on your wedding
- Save money on your wedding banquet: Credit cards you should be using!
- Top 5 tips for planning your dream wedding without compromising your budget