How To Win The $8 Million TOTO Hong Bao Draw 2021 with the Help of Statistics. Is It Worth It?
Winning the TOTO is every Singaporean’s dream. With every Lunar New Year, comes the HONG BAO DRAW (courtesy of Singapore Pools), when Singaporeans stand a chance to be a millionaire.
About time we start looking for inspirations for your 6 magic numbers to shade on the TOTO paper.
This Lunar New Year, we have an $8 Million Hong Bao Draw happening on 26 February 2021, at 9.30pm.
I personally “invest” in TOTO every year for the Hong Bao Draw just to try my luck a little. While this “investment plan” has yet to generate me any return…
I stay hopeful that it shall one day, make my yearly investment of $10 worthwhile. Wish me luck!
TL;DR: We Wanted to Hack the TOTO With Math… And Here’s What We Found Out
The following result is tabulated using the results from Hong Bao Draw 2020.
Given that the 2021 TOTO Hong Bao Draw is only an $8million pool instead of the $12million one last year,
- To have a 100% chance of winning the TOTO Jackpot, you will need to buy 13,983,816 Ordinary TOTO tickets
- You will need at least 54 ordinary tickets to at least win something
- I have a 4 times higher chance of spotting a UFO today than striking Jackpot with 1 TOTO ticket
If you’re not planning to buy TOTO, then at least put your money in a high-interest savings account.
Don’t blur blur and leave your money in a regular savings account which only gives you 0.05% interest…
TOTO Results of Hong Bao Draw 2021 – Winning Numbers and Additional Numbers
Stay tuned! We will bring you the Hong Bao Draw result on 26 February 2021!
Details on Singapore Pools $8 Million Hong Bao Draw
Chinese New Year Hong bao (Ang Bao) TOTO Draw is a Singaporean’s “tradition” that we look forward to every Chinese New Year, where we have the Hong Bao Draw which gives out really high price money.
Talk about the real Singapore Dream, here it is!
Here are the details of the Singapore Pools Hong Bao Draw 2021:
- Prize Money: $8 Million
- Draw date: 26 February 2021, 9.30pm (Friday)
- Location of the draw: Singapore Pools Building, 210 Middle Road
What Are the Packages Available for This Singapore Pools Hong Bao Draw 2021?
This time round, there will only be $10 pack and $20 pack available.
|Packages Available||Quick Pick System 7||Quick Pick Ordinary Pick||Singapore Sweep Ticket|
|$20 Pack||2 x Quick Pick System 7|
(2 TOTO Tickets of Quick Pick System 7)
|3 x Quick Pick Ordinary|
(3 boards of Quick Pick Ordinary)
|1 Singapore Sweep Ticket|
|$10 Pack||1 x Quick Pick System 7|
(1 TOTO Ticket of Quick Pick System 7)
|-||1 Singapore Sweep Ticket|
If you are unsure of terms such as “Quick Pick System 7” and “Quick Pick Ordinary”, the rest of the article will be able to help you out!
- $10 and $20 packs are available from 22 February 2021, 6.10pm.
All Singapore Pool branches will also be extending their operating hours to 9pm on 26 February 2021.
TOTO Singaporean’s Guide on How to TOTO
In the game of TOTO, one has to purchase a set of 6 numbers, selected from 1 to 49.
Types of Singapore Pools TOTO Bet and the Cost of Each Type of Bet
If you are a total ‘NOOB’ when it comes to TOTO, we compiled it here for you to refer to when you take that leap of faith at any Singapore Pools outlet.
|Types of Bet||Cost||Description|
|Quick Pick||$1||The computer to select 6 number at random.|
|Ordinary Bet||$1||TOTO ticket buyer selects 6 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System 7||$7||TOTO ticket buyer selects 7 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System 8||$28||TOTO ticket buyer selects 8 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System 9||$84||TOTO ticket buyer selects 9 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System 10||$210||TOTO ticket buyer selects 10 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System 11||$462||TOTO ticket buyer selects 11 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System 12||$924||TOTO ticket buyer selects 12 numbers from 1 to 49.|
|System Roll||$44||TOTO ticket buyer only selects 5 numbers from 1 to 49. The 6th number is any of the guaranteed winning numbers.|
Payouts of TOTO Prize
To help one make smarter personal finance decision (despite buying TOTO not being a smart one), here’s what the payout will look like should you win any of the categories.
|Group||Prize Money||Winning Numbers Matched|
(or known as 'Jackpot')
|38% of prize pool|
(minimum: $1 million or the amount stated)
|All 6 numbers|
|2||8% of prize pool||5 numbers + additional number|
|3||5.5% of prize pool||5 numbers|
|4||3% of prize pool||4 numbers + additional number|
|6||$25||3 numbers + additional number|
What Is My Chance of Winning TOTO?
|Prize||TOTO odds of winning|
|1 in 13,983,816|
|Group 2||1 in 2,330,636|
|Group 3||1 in 55,491|
|Group 4||1 in 22,197|
|Group 5||1 in 1,083|
|Group 6||1 in 812|
|Group 7||1 in 61|
Source: Interactive Mathematics
For every dollar we spend getting a TOTO ticket, we are risking it by subjecting ourselves to the probability of winning something.
How Much Do I Need to Spend to at Least Win Something?
To calculate the probability of winning at least some money, we sum up all the above-mentioned probability to derive at 0.0186. Which works out to be about 1 in 53.76.
This means that one needs to at least fork out $53.76, about 54 TOTO tickets to at least win some money.
Sounds Like a Good Deal? Think again.
- For Group 5, Group 6 and Group 7, the payout is $50, $25 and $10 respectively.
- Hence, winning any of the group will result in you losing money given that the cost price is at $53.76.
- Only by winning at least a Group 4 will the “investment” makes economic sense.
How Much to Win at Least a Group 4 Then?
- Assuming we use the same data of the Hong Bao Draw in the year 2020, there are 2,847 Group 4 winners bagging $326 each.
- We now turn a blind eye to anything Group 5 and below, we calculate to see how much we need to put in to win a Group 4 at least.
- The odds of winning a Group 4 at least turns out to be 1 in 3,932.51.
- This means that we need to put in at least $3,932.51 for a chance to win at least $326, which again, is not worth it.
The Ultimate Chart You Need to Illustrate the Never-Ending Pursuit of Quick Wealth (Based on 2020’s Result)
|Group||How Much to Buy?|
(For 100% Win)
|How Much You Win?|
(Based on 2020 Hong Bao Draw Results)
|Group 2||$2,330,636||$101,649 or more||-$2,228,987 or less|
|Group 3||$55,491||$1,464 or more||-$54,027 or less|
|Group 4||$22,197||$326 or more||-$21,871 or less|
|Group 5||$1,083||$50 or more||-$1,033 or less|
|Group 6||$812||$25 or more||-$787 or less|
|Group 7||$61||$10 or more||-$51 or less|
The above chart shows that in order for a sure win, one needs to put in so much more money to compensate for the risks and the odds.
- In order for one to win at least a Group 2, he needs to put in close to $2 million. The returns? A possible chance of winning $101,649 or maybe $12 million for that year.
Data is based on Hong Bao Draw 2020’s statistics:
To illustrate the low probability of winning a TOTO, we lay out the odds of some life events for reference:
- Odds of spotting a UFO today: 1/3,000,000
- Odds of a Royal Flush in poker on the first 5 cards: 1/ 649,740
- Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 1/662,000
- Odds of dating a supermodel: 1/88,000
- Odds of being murdered: 1/18,000
- Odds of winning an Academy Award: 1/11,500
This means that I have a 4 times higher chance of spotting a UFO today than striking Jackpot with my TOTO ticket.
Extra Reading: Are TOTO winnings subjected to tax?
Here’s a fun fact IF you win the Jackpot this Hong Bao Draw (BIG IF)…
As winnings from betting is a windfall and does not count as income, it is therefore NOT subjected to Income Tax.