Cabin Crew Salary Guide: How Much Does an Air Stewardess/Steward in Singapore Make?
How Much Does Cabin Crew in Singapore Earn? Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Scoot
Just a picture to capture your attention.
Now that most countries have COVID-19 under control, travel is coming back in a big way.
P.S. Don’t forget your travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage when you travel.
So much so that Singapore Airlines is planning to recruit about 2,000 cabin crew by March 2023; with about 800 hired so far at the time of writing.
And competition for these positions is fierce as the number of applicants applying for these positions has went up by three to four compared to before the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also, about three in five of those who were selected were former cabin crew members.
Perks of Being an Air Stewardess or Air Steward (Cabin Crew)
Other than getting to travel regularly to different cities, cabin crew get other financial perks too.
Not only is the starting pay of a flight attendant high, but they also get to go on a shopping spree for overseas products going at a cheaper price than when in Singapore.
We are talking about luxury items such as that Supreme T-shirt or that Louis Vuitton handbag, all at a discounted price.
Of course, that’s not the only reason why you take up a job as a cabin crew. You have to carefully consider other factors like job security, career advancement and the salary.
Here’s how much some of the more popular airlines hiring now and what their cabin crew are earning.
TL;DR: Various Airlines and Singapore Airlines Cabin Crew Salary in Singapore
If you are deciding on becoming an air stewardess or air steward, we are going to provide insight into their salary, job requirements and the recruitment process.
Top Cabin Crew Jobs in Singapore
Some of the more popular airlines amongst Singaporeans are Singapore Airlines (SIA), SilkAir, Emirates, Jetstar Asia, Cathay Pacific and Scoot.
The entry-level salary depends a lot on your schedule and the countries you fly to.
But, here’s an estimate of the average salary for a cabin crew in Singapore based on crowdsourced information from Glassdoor and direct from Emirates:
|Airline||Monthly Average Salary
And if you are wondering why this list is a bit short, most of the airlines have yet to resume their hiring of Singaporeans. But, we will update this article when they do.
How Much do Flight Attendants Get Paid? How Many Hours do Flight Attendants Work Weekly?
Ever wondered how much cabin crew with various airlines make?
How many hours do they have to work a week?
A typical flight attendant’s salary is made up of various components:
|Basic Salary||The amount you get paid no matter the amount of hours you fly.
Cabin crews are usually paid a low base salary. The other components when they fly make up a bigger percentage of their salary.
|Cabin crews are paid inflight allowance based on the number of hours they fly.
Inflight allowance can be different for cabin crew and is pegged to their years of experience.
|Long Haul Flight Allowance||If you are on a long haul flight, your inflight allowance increases.
Long haul flight usually refers to flights that are 14 hours or more.
|Layover Allowance||Also known as nightstop allowance, it is a fixed rate paid to cabin crew for each layover.|
|Turnaround Allowance||Turnaround allowance for the time taken to prepare the aircraft for the next flight after landing.|
|Transport Allowance||A transport allowance is provided every month for transport to and from work.|
|Uniform Allowance||Allowance to buy new uniform or accessories required for the work outfit.|
Each airline is different when it comes to the basic salary and payouts.
We have compiled the salary details for some of the more popular airlines in Singapore.
Singapore Airlines (SIA) Cabin Crew Salary
Here’s the breakdown of the salary for a full-time Singapore Airlines (SIA) cabin crew.
Note that their basic salary only makes up about half of the salary they are drawing.
This means that the total salary depends heavily on their flight schedule and the destination they are assigned to.
During training, you will receive a basic salary.
Upon graduation and commencement of duties, you will be given an attractive salary package with allowances based on your flight patterns and flying hours.
Singapore Airlines Cabin Crew Pay
According to Glassdoor, the Total Pay average for 208 cabin crew at Singapore Airlines is S$3,667 a month.
This is inclusive of the base salary, bonuses and additional compensation.
SIA Stewardess Rank and Pay
But, Cabin Crew salaries at Singapore Airlines can range from S$1,000 – S$7,980 per month depending on their experience and seniority level.
SIA Stewardess Requirement and SIA Steward Requirement
In addition, SIA has the following requirements for the cabin crew role:
- Minimum age of 18 years old due to legislative requirements
- Pleasant personality and service-oriented
- Fluent in English with good communication skills
- Minimum height requirement of at least 1.58m for females and 1.65m for males in order to carry out safety and emergency procedures onboard
- Minimum qualification of 5 GCE ‘O’ Level credits (including English) or Higher Nitec and above
- Former SIA Cabin Crew are welcome to apply
- Successful candidates must be able to commence employment with us within three months from the date of application.
Singapore Airlines (SIA) Cabin Crew Benefits
According to SIA here are the perks of the job:
- Based in Singapore and offered a 5-year employment contract initially
- Attractive annual leave scheme
- Medical and dental treatment scheme
- Comprehensive training programmes.
If you are keen on applying do note that:
Singapore Airlines conducts direct recruitment and does not engage any third-party agencies / companies for our cabin crew recruitment. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit your application via the official Singapore Airlines career page only. Any parties or media platforms that claim to represent Singapore Airlines have no authority to recruit or engage with applicants on behalf of the airline and the airline will not be responsible for any information shared by the applicant with any such third party and/or the conduct of any such third party.
Emirates Cabin Crew Salary
Emirates airline cabin crew earn their salary in United Arab Emirates Dirham (AED) as they are based in Dubai.
If you are starting off as Cabin Crew Grade II (Economy Class), you will generally earn about 9,465 AED (S$3,530) per month including basic salary, layover allowance and flight hours.
With that, here’s the breakdown of the salary for Emirates Airline cabin crew:
|Component||Designation of Cabin Crew||Salary* (Rounded up)|
|Basic Salary||Cabin Crew Grade II (Economy Class)||4,260 AED
|Cabin Crew Grade I (Business Class)||4,360 AED
|Cabin Crew Grade I (First Class)||4,360 AED
|Cabin Crew Senior Supervisor (CSV)||4,825 AED
|Purser (Cabin Manager)||5,515 AED
|Cabin Crew Grade II (Economy Class)||61.25 AED
|Cabin Crew Grade I (Business Class)||67 AED
|Cabin Crew Grade I (First Class)||72.5 AED
|Cabin Crew Senior Supervisor (CSV)||84 AED
|Purser (Cabin Manager)||90 AED
|Layover Allowance||All||Layover allowance changes regularly and it depends on the country you go to.
[E.g. New York is about US$130 (S$178) a night]
Source: Emirates Group
*After a minimum of one – three years of employment.
**Base salary will increase by 200 – 300 AED (~S$75 – S$112) a year.
Requirements for Emirates Airlines Cabin Crew
According to Emirates, here are their requirements for the cabin crew role:
- At least 21 years of age at the time of joining
- You’ve had more than a year’s experience in hospitality/customer service
- You have a positive attitude and the natural ability to provide excellent service in a team environment, dealing with people from many cultures
- Your minimum qualification is high school graduate (Grade 12)
- You need to be fluent in written and spoken English (the ability to speak another language is an advantage)
- You’re at least 160cm tall and can reach 212 cm while standing on tiptoes, to enable you to reach emergency equipment on all aircraft types
- No visible tattoos while you’re in Emirates cabin crew uniform (without covering them with bandages or cosmetics)
- As an Emirates cabin crew, you’ll be based in Dubai and will need to meet the UAE’s employment visa requirements.
Emirates Airlines Cabin Crew Benefits
- 30 calendar days of leave per year
- Tax free-income
- One firm free annual leave ticket provide to your country of origin (this ticket can be changed to any Emirates destination after three years of service)
- Free first-rate shared accommodation in Dubai
- Free transport to and from work
- Medical and dental cover
- Attractive concessional travel benefits for cabin crew and extended family.
Scoot Cabin Crew Salary
Here’s the breakdown of the salary for Scoot cabin crew.
According to Glassdoor, the Total Pay average for 51 cabin crew at Scoot is S$2,000 a month.
This is inclusive of the base salary, bonuses and additional compensation.
But, Cabin Crew salaries at Scoot can range from S$700 – S$3,500 per month depending on their experience and seniority level.
Requirements for Scoot Cabin Crew
- You are 18 years old and above
- Minimum. height requirement (due to safety and security measures):
- Male: 1.65m and above
- Female 1.58m and above.
- Your education is at least three GCE ‘O’ level credits including English, or five GCE ‘N(A)’ level subject passes with at least a Grade three in English.
- For Malaysian’s education level, you will need to have at least 3 credits for SPM including English.
Scoot Cabin Crew Benefits
- Employees (and five of their nominees) are entitled to UNLIMITED discounted staff travel tickets (inclusive of interline partners)
- Flexi-credits (medical, dental, wellness, travel expenses)
- Insurance coverage.
Note that applications for Scoot’s cabin crew close today (31 May 2022) so get applying when you see this!