List of Charities/Causes To Donate To For Tax Relief As Voted By The Seedly Community
To instil upon us a habit of giving back to the needy, the Singapore Government had provided tax residents in Singapore tax reliefs for every S$1 donated to a registered charity, S$2.50 will be deducted from your taxable income. Donations can come in forms of cash, gifts, shares and even artefacts!
In this article, we are mainly focusing on cash donations, if you wish to find out more on the different types of donations and their respective tax deductibility, details can be found here.
Tax Reliefs on Cash Donations to Charity
- For every S$1 donated, S$2.50 will be deducted from your taxable income
In order for your cash donations to be qualified for tax reliefs, it has to be made to:
- An approved Institution of a Public Character (IPC) or
- The Singapore Government for causes that benefit the local community
You can search if an organisation is an IPC here.
Charities Top Rated by Our Community
The list of foundations available for us to donate is endless, it would be great if you focus on the causes that you believe in and wish to support.
Here are some of the charities that our community give back to:
- Singapore Cancer Society
- Children’s Cancer Foundation
- Hospice Care Association (HCA) Singapore
- Cat Welfare Society
- Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore (MINDS)
- Club Rainbow
- The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund
- Nam Hong Welfare Service Society
1. Singapore Cancer Society (SCS)
- Cause: Cancer
- IPC Status: Live (till 30/03/2020)
With a simple but bold mission – To minimise cancer and maximise lives, SCS is dedicated to minimising the impact of cancer through education, screening, patient services, financial assistance, research and advocacy.
SCS is a community-based voluntary welfare organisation dependent on public donations to provide quality services to cancer patients, and their families.
For starters, SCS has an extensive write up on their website on cancer even debunking the common myths that we usually hear!
2. Children’s Cancer Foundation (CCF)
- Cause: Children with Cancer
- IPC Status: Live (till 04/05/2019)
Similarly, CCF supports the cause of cancer but focuses on children with cancer and their families by enhancing their emotional, social and medical well-being.
3. Hospice Care Association (HCA) Singapore
- Cause: Cancer
- IPC Status: Live (till 30/09/2020)
HCA is one of the many hospices in Singapore that provides comfort and support to patients with life-limiting illnesses regardless of age, religion, ethnicity, nationality and financial status.
HCA’s main service, home hospice care, is provided at no charge to about 3,700 patients every year.
4. Cat Welfare Society
- Cause: Animals (Specifically cats)
- IPC Status: Live (till 31/08/2019)
As opposed to other animal welfare groups, they do not run a shelter, instead, they are a charity committed to saving cats’ lives, and the funds received by donations are mainly used on sterilisation, mediation and other resources to support their caregiver network as well as helping low-income families improve their living conditions and that of their cats.
With few goals in mind, they aim to reduce stray cat populations by subsidising neutering costs, lobbying for cats to be officially allowed in HDBs to reduce pet abandonment, amongst others.
5. Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore (MINDS)
- Cause: Persons with Intellectual Disability
- IPC Status: Live (till 30/09/2019)
One of the oldest and largest organisations catering to the needs of persons with intellectual disability (PWIDs) in Singapore, MINDS aims to help provide equal opportunities to PWIDs to receive education to better integrate into society as contributing and responsible citizens.
6. Club Rainbow
- Cause: Children with Chronic Illness
- IPC Status: Live (Till 28/09/2020)
Club Rainbow supports children with major chronic illnesses (even life-threatening ones) and their families by providing relevant services to give them a better quality of life and hope for a better future.
They conduct numerous events and programmes for their beneficiaries – to provide for psychosocial, financial, educational, informational, and social support.
7. The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund
- Cause: Children/Students from low-income families
- IPC Status: Live (till 31/01/2020)
As the name goes, The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund provides pocket money to students through their school and since its inception in 2000, The Fund helped over 160,000 cases of students in providing them school pocket money.
Students are able to use this pocket money for school-related expenses like buying food during recess, paying for transport or school supplies.
8. Nam Hong Welfare Service Society
- Cause: Elderly and the Disadvantaged
- IPC Status: Live (till 07/01/2020)
Despite being a small organisation, Nam Hong Welfare Service Society provides a large array of services like free Traditional Chinese Medical Treatment, Caring-Heart Service for the Elderly, Free funeral services for the destitute, distribution of ration/bursary for disadvantaged students, health forums & voluntary consultation etc.
Organisations that help you donate to a cause you believe in:
- DBS Give for Good
- Shop & Donate by FairPrice
If you are familiar with how other crowdfunding sites works like GoFundMe or GiveAsia, looking at Giving.sg would be a no-brainer. You can browse through the different campaigns and causes to donate to.
Note: Not every organisation raising funds at Giving.sg is an IPC, do the search if an organisation is an IPC here.
2. DBS Give For Good
DBS Give For Good allows you to donate 100% to a cause that you strongly root for and you also get to do so instantly. The list of charities curated by the Give for Good mainly focuses on Elderly, Children and Healthcare.
They have 5 different causes that you are able to donate to which all ties back to ONE Community Partner – The South West Community Development Council (CDC):
- Help vulnerable or Elderly get to medical appointments
- Improve homes of vulnerable elderly
- Give a pair of spectacles to less privileged residents
- Empower children through reading
- Offer support to caregivers
As South West CDC is an IPC, the tax deduction will be automatically filed to IRAS by South West CDC and will be reflected in donor’s tax assessment in the next calendar year, IRAS will no longer accept claims based on donation receipts.
3. Shop & Donate by FairPrice
Shop & Donate encourages the community to help the less fortunate with grocery donations to over 70 charities. All you have to do is view the wishlist of your chosen beneficiaries and purchase some or even ALL of the items listed
Shop & Donate has 8 different causes you can donate to:
- Animal welfare
- Children & Youth
- Family & Community
- Women & Girls
Note: Donating to beneficiaries with Shop & Donate are not eligible for tax deduction.
GIVEAWAY: TELEGRAM CONTEST!
Join us where all the fun's at, TELEGRAM!