Chinese New Year (CNY) Tools: How To Play Ban Luck, In-Between, Poker
Seedly CNY Tools: Chinese New Year Games Guide
Happy CNY from the Seedly team!
It’s that time of the year again, Seedly smells money in the air. In order to save you all the searching, we have put together the instructions on how to play 3 popular card games during Chinese New Year: Blackjack, Poker and In-Between
Here’s the simplified guide to playing
- Ban Luck
1. How To Play Black Jack (Ban Luck)
“Ban Luck”, otherwise Chinese blackjack is the most commonly played card game at any house during visiting. This is probably because it is a relatively simple game of drawing cards in order to reach the closest to 21 points. The good news is, we also made a cheat sheet on how you can win Blackjack (Ban Luck), with a little bit of math.
- After the dealer shuffles the card, one of the players will ‘cut’ the deck, splitting the deck into two. This is to ensure fairness in the game.
- The dealer will then give out two cards to each player, including himself. Note that blackjack can be played by as many players as you want.
- Unlike blackjack in the casino, Singaporeans usually deal with 2 cards facing down.
Step 2: Counting Points
- As mentioned previously, Ban Luck is about trying to get closest to 21 points, without exceeding.
- After you open your own 2 cards, start counting:
- Cards 2 to 9: The number on the card represents the point
- Cards 10, J, Q and K: All represent 10 points.
- Card A:
If one has a total of 2 cards in hand, Ace can be 10 or 11.
If one has a total of 3 cards in hand, Ace can be 10 or 1.
If one has more than 4 cards in hand, Ace is equaled to 1.
Step 3: Rules To Take Note Of
- Now that you know how to count your points, each player must at least have 16 points to play.
- Card combinations lower than 16 points will mean that the player or dealer has to draw from the pile when it’s their turn
- Should a player or banker has exactly 15 points in his first two cards, he can choose to surrender.
Step 4: Special Card Combinations = Win More $$
- There are special combinations which allow the dealer or players to get back more than 1X of their bet amount.
- Ban Luck (Ace with J, Q, K or 10): Player to win 2X his bet unless the dealer has 15 points or Ban Ban. This is the same for the dealer.
- Ban Ban (Ace pair): Wins 3X the bet amount.
- 7-7-7 (Triple 7): Wins 7X the bet amount.
- Dragon (obtain 5 cards without exceeding 21 points):
Should a player wants to hit after receiving his fourth card, he will have to reveal all his 4 cards.
Should his total points of all 5 cards not exceed 21 points, he receives 2X his bet.
2. How To Play Poker
We found out that many people actually don’t know how to play poker! We sure don’t want you to be one of those bullied rookies during Chinese New Year, here are simple steps on how to play Poker:
Step 1: Dealing Cards
- After the dealer shuffles the cards, one of the players will ‘cut’ the deck, splitting the deck into two. This is to ensure fairness in the game.
- The dealer will then give out two cards to each player, including himself. Note that poker can be played by as many players as you want.
Note: Dealer changes after every round
Step 2: Card Combinations Rankings
This is the most important part of poker: How you can win.
If you know how to play “Tai Ti”, otherwise knows a Big Two, the combination of cards are similar. The list goes from 1 being the biggest to _ being the smallest:
- Royal Flush: 10, J, Q, K, A, all in the same suit
- 4 of a kind: 4 cards of the same number
- Full house: A combination of 3 of the same numbered cards + one pair
- Flush: 5 cards of the same suit
- Straight: 5 cards of consecutive numbers
- 3 of a kind: 3 cards of the same number
- 2 pairs of cards
- 1 pair of cards
- Highest card: If no player has any of the above combinations, the player with the highest card wins
Step 3: Big Blind, Small Blind
This is to ensure that there is enough money in the pot at the beginning of each round to pay off people who win
- The player on the left of the dealer is the big blind, and the player to the left of the big blind is the small blind.
- The big blind puts in twice the amount of money that the small blind puts into the pot of money. The amount of money is typically determined by what your group is used to.
Step 4: Starting The Game
If we continue from Step 1, after each player opens their own 2 cards, they will determine if they stand a good chance to win according to the combination rankings in Step 2.
The player to the left of the dealer will choose to either
- Bet: Bet a certain amount of money
- Check: Do nothing
Following the same clockwise order to take turns, the rest of the players can choose to:
- Call: Follow the first player’s bet
- Fold: Give up
- Raise: Raise the first player’s bet. When a raise happens, everyone else will have to either call, fold or continue raising until everyone playing has the same bet.
The dealer will then deal, which means layout 3 cards for everyone to see
- Players can bet/ call/ raise/ fold
The dealer deals the 4th card for everyone to see
- Players can bet/ call/ raise/ fold
The dealer deals the 5th card for everyone to see
- The final time players can bet/ call/ raise/ fold
The player with the highest card combination rank (refer to step 2) wins!
3. How To Play In-Between
In-between is a fast moving card game with relatively simple rules. But watch out, fast moving means your money will be moving fast too!
Step 1: Dealing Cards
- After the dealer shuffles the cards, one of the players will ‘cut’ the deck, splitting the deck into two. This is to ensure fairness in the game. This game can also be played by as many players as you want.
Step 2: Contribute to the Pot $$$
- Each player will put a standardised amount into the pot of money to start of the game
Step 3: Starting the Game
- The dealer will open 2 cards for the first player on his or her left
- The player will then bet an amount of money according to the chance of the 3rd card falling in between those 2 numbers. Step 4 will teach you how this thought process works:
Step 4: Rule Of Winning/ Losing
- Winning or losing money depends on the 3rd card the dealer opens for you
- If the card:
- Falls in between the 2 cards: Win the amount you previously bet from the common pot of money
- Falls outside of the 2 cards: Lose the amount of money you bet to the common pot
- Is exactly the same number as either 2 of the opened cards: Lose X2 the amount you previously bet to the common pot of money
Small gambles are fun during Chinese New Year with your friends and family, but be careful not to spend all your winnings in a hurry. Make smarter decisions with your money!
Tune in for this EPIC showdown LIVE!
Date: 27 June 2019, Thursday, 8 to 9pm
Get your P2P Lending questions answered here!